Due to VLSI (very-large-scale integration) technology improvements, electronic devices are increasingly shrinking in size and getting more complex. Hence, it leads to the increased popularity of BGA (Ball Grid Array) packages. It is a surface-mount device (SMD) component that does not possess any lead. An array of solder balls are fixed on a laminated substrate at the underside of a chip package that facilitates connection to the PCB. BGA packages enable connections with high density for integrated circuits (ICs). BGA boosts the reliability of solder joints and improves both thermal and electrical performance. It also increases assembly yield, reduces volume and mass, and enables good product credibility.
Changing the soldered balls that appear in the BGA package is known as BGA reballing. The reballing process is highly valued in various circumstances. In certain applications, you may have to change the alloy of the BGA solder balls and re-solder it to avoid any malfunctioning in the PCB. When performing the process manually, you need to remove the solder that appears on the pad and clean the location. For placing the BGA on the correct pads of the PCB, manufacturers generally use BGA rework machine. To counter the challenges in BGA rebelling and align to best practices, it is recommended to outsource the process to BGA reballing service. You can also use the BGA Reballing kit, which consists of essential tools. It helps recall the solder balls of a BGA IC (integrated circuit).
Why outsource BGA Re-balling?
- It is necessary to execute BGA reballing strategically. It needs to be reliable and efficient to avoid common mistakes and ensure optimal results. The certified team of experts and professionals at BGA Reballing service are better poised to make the right decisions when performing BGA reballing. They use highly reliable, industry-proven techniques and effectively complete the project to meet the IPC specifications.
- The team deploys repeatable, reliable, and industry-wide proven processes. Contracting the BGA reballing process to the outsourced agency helps prevent common mistakes during the process. These include incorrect BGA orientation, heat damage, pad damage when removing BGA, and damage to the BGA component when salvaging it from the package.
- Quality BGA reballing services are better equipped with the knowledge of tools, processes, and procedures to avoid the problems above, reduce waste, and release high-quality BGA that meets customers’ specifications.
- Inadequate operator training and experience can compromise the reliability of the BGA reballing technique. However, the proper service agency offers innovative high-end services, and they leverage the right equipment, materials, and documents to take care of your project. They do not let any inconveniences propagate, which could lead to a higher incidence of rework or repair issues. The team also allows post-placement inspection techniques to enable proper BGA orientation.
Why does the BGA chip need Reballing?
The overuse of graphic chips due to prolonged time or extended use can cause the BGA chip to suffer wear and physical damage. It will cause the solder joints to become PCB and the chip to lose. It may also result in creating display-related problems. The normal heating cycle of PCB because of continuous heating and shrinking of board and components can cause the BGA solder balls to become unreliable.
Mostly BGA Chip becomes faulty, and in such cases, it becomes crucial to replace it with new ones. When the PCB motherboard undergoes graphic chip up-gradation, BGA reballing becomes important. These are the various conditions in which you need to conduct BGA reballing to restore product quality and ensure long-term reliable performance.
Also Read: How to Submit a YouTube Video
What are the various steps involved in BGA Reballing?
There are various strategically-defined steps that you must follow during the BGA reballing process.
- Pre-heat the PCB, and apply heat over the BGA component that you must remove. The heat must be applied till the solder melts, allowing you to easily remove or lift components by using a vacuum.
- Use a syringe to apply water-soluble paste flux. Smear it evenly across the balls using a gloved finger. Using a blade tip, you can remove solder balls. The surface must be flat and even.
- Use isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface and clean the flux residue.
- Visually inspect the device to check that the bottom of the device does not consist of scratches and lift pads. Apply water-soluble paste flux to the underside surface with uniform thickness.
- Attach preform ball on the PCB. The preform lines must be aligned to the patterns on the device.
- Over the ball, the array performs attaches the BGA component. Correctly define the pattern orientation. Then place the device in a reflow oven by modulating the temperature settings.
- Remove the preform when the device is slightly warm. Inspect the device to ensure the correct transfer of balls to the device, and then clean it using water and a soft brush.
BGA reballing is crucial to avoid loose connections or customized configurations. The outsourced team will leverage the best practices to perform BGA reballing optimally and inspect it to ensure they release it as per the Quality Assurance Procedures.
One response to “Why Outsource BGA Re-balling?”
[…] Also read: Why Outsource BGA Re-balling? […]