It is imperative to have a fair idea about the CogAT test pattern and content to excel in this exam. If you appear in this examination without preparation, you may not perform as per your level. In addition, despite gifted talent and skills, you may fall short of time or get nervous in the exam. So, to remove these hurdles, you must prepare well for the CogAT test.
In this article, we will discuss what you need to prepare for the CogAT Test with some tips to prepare well. But, first, let us start with the basics.
As the name suggests, the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) is specially designed to determine the cognitive abilities of children as per their age group or grade. Some children perform exceptionally better than their fellow agemates or classmates. This test aims to find such children and reward them with gifted and talented (GT) programs based on their CogAT scores. Some schools mandate this exam for admissions.
The CogAT test is based on the K-12 assessment system and consists of multiple-choice questions. It examines a child’s problem-solving, reasoning, and aptitude in 3 batteries.
- Verbal classification: a list of three words or pictures alike in some way is given. A student has to select a word alike in the same way.
- Sentence completion: a sentence with a left-out word is given. A student has to select a word that makes the best sense of the sentence.
- Verbal analogies: a set of three words in which the first two words go together somehow are given. A student has to select a word that goes with the third word in the same manner.
- Quantitative relations: a set of two problems numbered 1 and 2 are given along with three answer choices. A student has to solve the problems to check if the answer is less than, greater than, or equal to.
- Number series: a series of numbers is given. A student must determine which number will come next in the series.
- Equation building: numbers and signs are given. A student has to combine them to get a solution that matches one of the given answer choices.
- Figure classification: three figures alike in some way are given along with three answer choices and five pictures to choose from. A student has to select which figure goes best with the three answer choices.
- Figure analogies: three figures are given in which the two figures go together in some way. A student has to find an answer choice that goes together with the third figure in the same way.
- Figure analysis: a square piece of dark paper is folded and punched to make holes in it. A student has to find out how the paper will look once it is unfolded.
These 3 batteries are further divided into various sub-sections.
Now that you know What you need for CogAT Test prep let us know some ways to prepare for this test.
CogAT Practice Tests are a must to build familiarity and confidence. In absences of practice, even a bright student might go blank on D-day. So, to ensure you give your best, go through various worksheets and online CogAT practice sets.
As this test measures a child’s cognitive behavior, overall mindfulness matters the most. In addition to practice tests, try math games, problem-solving puzzles, and scrabble to brush up on your other skills.
Involve your parents, siblings, and friends in your studies. Let them read and ask questions to enhance your response time. You can also opt for online home tutoring or join an online CogAT test prep course for professional support. This will ensure you get the right guidance and study material for your preparation.
Lastly, find time for games and get enough sleep. Do not push yourself too much, as stress can negatively impact your performance in the CogAT test.
Also read: Most significant points for students
Unlike other tests, the CogAT test mainly focuses on a child’s cognitive ability. However, your aptitude and problem-solving skills also matter in addition to academics. Therefore, prepare well, familiarize yourself with the content, and practice CogAT tests. If you don’t know how to start, get help from a professional online tutor.